Friday, October 17, 2008

Worshipping Walt

I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

I loafe and invite my soul,
I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass.

I am reading a new book about Whitman and his closest disciples: Worshipping Walt, written by Michael Robertson, published by Princeton University Press.

He is simply the greatest poet to ever live. He is eternal and universal. It was Whitman who helped me to realize that God is everywhere, in nature, in all things, even ourselves, in the leaves of grass. He has taught me much.

But I have learned something from all of you too.

Let me share with you the qoute from the top of the introduction page. It made me have goosebumps right away. It is from "Song of Myself," just as the opening to this post is also from.

Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the earth much?
Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?

Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of all poems.





Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Rain said...

He is the greatest most inspirational poet. I agree.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Promise of Light

  • moon phase info
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Far Side of Sanity

    And the iguanas dance in the desert/a thousand miles away from this place/and this face: stoned immaculate.

    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again." ~ Paul Simon

    Powered by Blogger

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein