Friday, August 17, 2007

Situation Update

I was very angry but trying to think rationally when I wrote my previous post (a journal entry that really doesn’t belong on this blog, just because it’s not anything as described in the title of this blog, but I digress). Of course, I didn’t beat the man senseless, or even scream at him for that matter, those days are over for me, at least the fighting. But I do feel, since I involved you that I should reveal some relevant information, to 1.) I admit, to further explain but indeed demonize, not the man, but his behavior; and 2.) To clarify the situation to those of you whom I’ve involved.

Okay. This is what I know for sure.

Alex came home from practice the other night and cried, and said he was scared to go back to practice because a man with a red face (indicating that he was angry) walked up to him, after tackling his son, and told him: "you’d better not do that boy!" then stared at him for the rest of the practice, which intimidated my son. (And Alex is the star player; the coach begged me not to take him off the team. Although I hadn’t given it a thought: digressing further.)

I had been meditating on the subject and even practiced it, practiced being cool with this guy, and saying the right things, staying focused as not to stray from the point and respond with character assassinatipns and so forth. We had sent a note, attemting to arrange for the boy’s father to call me when he arrived home that evening. I had it written out, as I said, so I wouldn’t stray from the point of the confrontation.

I had to let this man know this was unacceptable:

Hello. I am James Eric Watkins.


And your name is?

Did you walk onto the field, during practice, where your son and my son were instructed to tackle each other, proceed to yell at my son and continue to stare at him for the entirety of the practice?

And if so, why?

Tackling is a part of tackle football, hence the word tackle.

I would appreciate, in the future, if you have any grievances about the way my son plays or practices tackle football (and Alex didn’t do anything wrong, I know mt son, plus another mother saw the whole thing. They were merely doing as instructed, and the asshole...I mean gentlemen just got pissed about. Just grow up man...digressing...diogressing....yeah....), please address them to his coach, his mother, or myself.

But the guy didn’t give me a chance. He called yelling and screaming, cussing his ass off. I end up just saying: "listen to me, listen to me. No one should intimidate a child" But he wouldn’t listen, just deny that he would do such a thing (he probably goes to church every Sunday morning, the fuck.). So I stopped him and said:" well. I can’t make you be man enough to admit what you did was wrong. But I keep you from doing it again. "Because I’LL BE SITTIN’ RIGHT NEXT TO YA." and I waited for afew seconds. No response. So I hung up.

So I called the president of the football league to arrange a meeting, with the coach, myself, the guy, and the president, just before practice. The meeting never happened. Practice was cancelled, and I’m not sure the guy would have shown anyway. I was the only one at the park, waiting like dumbass in a fucking hail storm, come to find out the man had expressed concern to the president about what I might do to him. How guilty is that...digressing..digrossing...yeah

All I wanted to do was to get my point across that this, again, is just unacceptable behavior for an adult to display:

Okay. I’m going to be brief and to the point, actually three points.

First, I would ask that you allow me to say my piece, completely, before responding, without interruption.

I have three points to make:

1.) No parent, including myself, has the right to speak in an intimidating way (attempting to frighten my son, so he would avoid tackling the man’s son) to a child while they are at football practice, especially another parent’s child.

2.) Intimidating another parents child is unacceptable behavior.


And 3.) I would appreciate in the future, if you have grievances about the way my son plays or practices tackle football, please address them to the coach, his mother, or myself.

Thank you for your time.



The guy won’t do it again. I’m sure. I’ve outed him to the president, the coach and several parents. Plus, I think he’s felt a little intimidated himself as of late, so I’ll just let it go.

I think I’ll just write the guy a letter, so I can have closure, and just continue to be....

Thanks guys. I love you.



your favorite lunatic, James

4 Comments:

Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Yeah. he was a bad man...over the phone, asking me, "is there a problem?" "yeah there's a big fuckin problem, pal."

ya know, Becky, were all gonna hafta meet up one day. thad be good.

Mary. I know. the crew I could have brought is just down right scary. I could have "every wise guy around take a piece of his...ass." But nah.
I take pleasure in being this man.

thanks again guys.

2:37 AM  
Blogger dave said...

James, I thought your narrative was awesome. Very honest and engaging. It drew me right into the situation and I was able to see and feel what you did. A sign of a good piece of writing. Don't remove it. As for the dude, well, it'll all come out in the wash.

8:31 PM  
Blogger westcoastmama said...

I'm so proud of you...but you knew that :-)

10:02 PM  
Blogger fineartist said...

See, you handled it just right, I knew you would.

We love you too you big ol lunatic you!

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Promise of Light

  • moon phase info
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Far Side of Sanity

    And the iguanas dance in the desert/a thousand miles away from this place/and this face: stoned immaculate.

    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again." ~ Paul Simon

    Powered by Blogger

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein