Sunday, August 06, 2006

Super-Conversation

And Alex said: "I wanna see that new Super-Man movie dad."

"Yeah, I wanna see it too, son. The actor looks just like, well, he looks a lot like the actor who used to play Super-Man." I said. "Christopher Reeves."

"Christopher Reeves was riding a horse when the horse threw him. He broke his neck, couldn’t move anything, was in a wheelchair, but for the rest of his life, he fought, he fought to raise awareness, to raise money for research, for spinal cord injuries. He couldn’t cure himself, but I think he knew that. But other people it would help."

"Wow. So he was a real super hero then."

Trying so to hold back the tears ready to burst from my eyes, because I was in awe of his humanity. It was like, for that moment, my son stood tall and spoke with a natural wisdom that I could only respect and honor and be in awe of, I said: "That’s right, son. He sure was."

It was then I knew what kind of man he would be. He will surpass me by light-years. I’ve never been more proud. And even though these sad green eyes get in the way of seeing sometimes, I’m sure glad I caught that.

6 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Children are amazing aren't they James? And we parents, we're just lucky we get to have them in our lives and watch as little human beings experience their 'becomings.'

I love you James.
~E

12:33 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

They are.

And I love you Erin, you know that.

1:51 PM  
Blogger beckyboop said...

I think children are more intuitive than adults. As adults, we tend to loose that. Sometimes our eyes don't see; their eyes are wide open.

I respected Christopher Reeves' courage. To tell you the truth, it kind of made me sad when they chose a new Superman.

Becky

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

I agree. In most cases, that is most definitely true. Children ARE more intuitive than adults.

Nothing indeed compares to the wide-open, untainted view of a child.

And, to tell you the truth, it made me sad, but it is that same sadness that bursts forth joy and new life.

good to have you around. real good.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Just when we get a bit jaded, we hopefully have kids to remind us who we were.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

rain, welcome.

the children, they are everything.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Promise of Light

  • moon phase info
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Far Side of Sanity

    And the iguanas dance in the desert/a thousand miles away from this place/and this face: stoned immaculate.

    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again." ~ Paul Simon

    Powered by Blogger

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein