Sunday, December 24, 2006

Shadows dart
across the floor
a mouse is playing nearby
the tick-tock of the clock
maintains the rhythm
that creates the illusion
of a universal pupose
we all seem to have, to dream.





December rain wake me
wet and naked on the grass
exposed for all to see, shivering
in my shame, my pain dripping
upon the earth, soaked in the dream.




In a crowded Christmas scene, the old man sits at the head of one of the many tables, staring at his hands, funneling through the years like a time traveler. Although the noise is deafening, he thinks quietly; he misses her so. Why was he here, and she gone? Sweet Zella. Sweet Zella: always smiling. All his brothers, sisters, war-buddies, friends, and his sweet Zella: all dead. But he remains . . . in this crowded room, listening for her voice, waiting to become part of the dream.


Sleep baby boy.
Slumber so peacefully
warm in perpetual dream.

I never held you. But I will always hold onto you.


We’re all missing someone this season. Some of us are missing many. And in grief words may mean next to nothing. But make no mistake: even though, we don’t see them with our eyes open, they are here, loving us as we have always loved them.

6 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I Hope so James. I certainly hope so.

Love you James, hope tomorrow is magical for you and yours.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Well, shortly after this post I recieved a phone call. It never stops. It never will. Perhaps I'll pretend. I should. I will. I love you.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

received. i before e except after c. duh.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Merry Christmas to you, too. I hope that through all the bad, the peace of the holiday brings you some much deserved relaxation and happiness.

My love to you, old friend.

Angie

1:42 AM  
Blogger beckyboop said...

Beautiful words James. Merry Christams and Happy New Year. The new year is going to rock. I'm sure of it.

XXOO,

Becky

3:45 AM  
Blogger fineartist said...

Damn it, now that's some incredible writing.

yeah, damn it.

I came in earlier, read, marveled, freaked out, came in again, the same.

Now I come in to sit a while, I wont go running out.

I am a runner you know? "She's a runner Logan..." I am a runner, I run from the things I cannot fix.

I cannot run from myself, or I would. Oh hell yes I would.

I cannot run from my memories, only anesthetize myself enough to manage a momentary escape, even that's no good though. Self medication.

Hell I just wanted you to know that I was here, really, and that I care, but you already know that for sure.

mega lovin', Lori

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Promise of Light

  • moon phase info
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Far Side of Sanity

    And the iguanas dance in the desert/a thousand miles away from this place/and this face: stoned immaculate.

    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again." ~ Paul Simon

    Powered by Blogger

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein