Thursday, September 21, 2006

Flight of the Falcon

Derelict sky: a single bird flies.

The winged-scavenger glides,
encircles the center of my area.

Nothing else exists, just this:
deserted grayish-dimension
nothing on the wires, nor ground
no sound, just a bird . . . a man

A mist falls on his outstretched wings
on every feather spread on his mighty back

and as the rain thickened, he repelled it
shed it, like a broken-minded man sheds tears

Motionless flight suddenly shifts

The bird’s glassy, black vision
channels down
upon these emerald
shimmers, and a vacuum culls
his eye to mine, calls my substance to the sky

His panorama becomes my own

yet I still stand in this gray, cool drizzle
to watch him fly away, alone, forgotten

in search of the crystalline . . . azure . . . that left him behind

© James Eric Watkins


~~~~



This an old one.

It's also a part of one of my poetry
manuscriptsthat that I've never sent
anywhere. Regardless, it's one of my
favorites of mine. As I hope you too will enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger beckyboop said...

The words you choose always paint such a beautiful picture in my mind. I'm diggin' it.

BTW. Still bored, but doing much better. Thanks.

Becky

2:37 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

A beautiful poem. Two of my favorite words: crystalline and azure.

I often wonder what to do with my poems. Putting them on a blog gives them some air time and inspires others. In fact I am due to post one soon.

6:14 PM  
Blogger fineartist said...

I wonder what the bird was thinking?

“Look there on yonder ground, a feast.”

Eye contact.

“Oh hell it’s still breathing.”

“Later un dead dude.”

(Sorry I’m really weird today, and this piece is marvelous, and I am a dork, but you know that.)

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Promise of Light

  • moon phase info
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Far Side of Sanity

    And the iguanas dance in the desert/a thousand miles away from this place/and this face: stoned immaculate.

    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again." ~ Paul Simon

    Powered by Blogger

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein