Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Proof of Good Memories

After watching Dane Cook

outbursts of candid
emotion
fill the room

my laugh
reminds me
of my father’s

I can remember
the last time we laughed
together

we were watching
the Three Stooges.

we laughed until
the tears rolled down the cheeks
of our so-alive faces
holding our mid-sections
in a wonderfully aching display
of laughter
between a father . . . and a son.

~~~


Minty Green Memories


The smell of this tea
so steamy it takes me
walking through childhood pastures.

It takes me down
down by the creek
the one back home in Indiana
the one that overflowed
from one pond into another.
Spearmint grew leafy and green
along the edges.

I used to go there, alone
watch the water flow
over smooth colored stones
breathe in the minty fragrance

shaded from the rest of the world.


I often go there in my mind
but I am still a child.
He should stay.
He is safe there.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Dita said...

Aren't memories wonderful to cherish, especially those that are filled with laughter and fathers.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Indeed. "especially those"

3:24 PM  
Blogger fineartist said...

I'm so proud of you, ya see I have bloglines and they saved that post you wrote and I was honored to read it. I was diagnosed as cyclethymic, years ago, my therapist described it to me as being border line bi polar, or bi polar but not as severe as full blown bi polar, and he advised me not to take meds, but to deal with it. Becky was diagnosed with the same thing, and our sister Crystal was diagnosed as full blown bi polar, so is my son. What I'm trying to say, and should probably reserve for an e mail is, that I understand where you're coming from, with the feelings involved with this damned chemical brain disorder and the feelings you expressed in your post, about the pain of childhood...and I feel closer to you and more proud of you for all of the things you've been through.

And that page of yours in the directory if writers, now that's just fan frappin tastic!

And this poem is beautiful.

love,
Lori

8:49 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

I cannot begin to tell you what your friendship means to me.

Thank you.

9:25 AM  
Blogger dave said...

chilly...I'm tingling all over..I freakin smelled that mint!!!! wow..awesome

I love the italics at the end...odd juxtaposition, the shift from first to third person and the absolute power of the words, thanks for sharing James...you have a gift my friend!!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Dita said...

Damn, I knew there was a full moon in there. I should've come here to check that!

2:51 PM  
Blogger fineartist said...

OF writers! Thud.

Of writers darn it.

Me too you. x

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Promise of Light

  • moon phase info
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Far Side of Sanity

    And the iguanas dance in the desert/a thousand miles away from this place/and this face: stoned immaculate.

    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again." ~ Paul Simon

    Powered by Blogger

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein