Friday, June 16, 2006

Symbolism

I realized some years ago
that I didn’t need to stand
over the burial ground of
my father, to be close to him

but that he existed in corridors

of thought, and anywhere, be it
earth or concrete, pulpit or leaf
I could be enveloped by his spirit

a spirit kept alive by human feeling

And so, markers upon the earth
or urns sitting quietly upon their mantles
ash in the wind, dissolved by water, they are

merely (but importantly) symbols

calming

our fear that we may forget

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Promise of Light

  • moon phase info
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Far Side of Sanity

    And the iguanas dance in the desert/a thousand miles away from this place/and this face: stoned immaculate.

    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again." ~ Paul Simon

    Powered by Blogger

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein