Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Displacement

Caribbean
misconstrued
a squint in her lover’s eyes

skies of psychosis
deep down
her feet flow
on an abyssal plain

mad heat warming her viscera
rises, steams, streams
past cloudy cheeks
and into cerulean


faster
faster

Caribbean’s stare arrays

and

far from man
she is born, child to women
blind, to see nothing
except her father’s face

she swirls
around, around
spinning on diluted feet

she only hears
her mother’s cries
a thunderous moan
to be free of this anger

Katrina’s hands thrash
splash fingertips wet

she turns
touching moisture
embracing wind

and her surroundings
revolve near her body

but she is still
calm, hovering
in peace of motion

she can stand no more
of this fighting, so she runs away

and her father cries just ahead of her

as she screams madness into her path

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

on an abyssal plain

great line - my mind first saw "abysmal pain" which worked for me too...

intentional?

12:22 AM  
Blogger dave said...

this is very good

i like abyssal too
check this though
___________________________
mad heat warming her viscera
rises, steams, streams
past cloudy cheeks
and into cerulean
his eyes
_________________________

i don't know what 'his eyes' means here, it doesn't seem to work, maybe it's a typo or needs a conjuction or something.

thanks for the email James, i always love to read your work!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

I did intend to use abyssal plain, a term used to describe the deep, and damn near leve ocean floor, like 2,000-6,000 meters deep. But I very well could have use "abysmal,"that sounds better, I think. But,yes, it was intentional. Thanks for reading. Dave, it's cool to see you here. Let me see if I can clarify that part a bit. Thanks brother. Now, the math book calls my name.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

oh it's obvious that abyssal plain was intentional - I just meant that the reader's mind may see bot abyssal plain AND abysmal pain, which is a very cool thing, to fuck with the readers head like that.

I also like "see...her father's face" - reminds me of the Gunslinger series of books by Stephen King, one of my favorite series. Dunno if that was intentional or not, but it added a great flavor for me.

PS: Math is the devil :)

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Promise of Light

  • moon phase info
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Far Side of Sanity

    And the iguanas dance in the desert/a thousand miles away from this place/and this face: stoned immaculate.

    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again." ~ Paul Simon

    Powered by Blogger

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein